FERNDALE, Wash. — The good news is the river level forecast for the Nooksack River at Ferndale has been dialed back to crest at 16.25 feet, below the previous forecast of about 17 feet.
The bad news is there have been some road closures due to river flooding including Marine Drive which was added to the list since 2pm.
- CLOSED: Ferndale Road between Slater Road and Marine Drive
- CLOSED: Barrett Road north of Main Street
- CLOSED: Paradise Road east of Barrett Road
- CLOSED: S Church Road south of Ulrich Road
- CLOSED: Lampman Road west of S Church Road
- CLOSED: Marine Drive between Rural Avenue and Lummi Shore Drive/Road
There are also some roads with water and debris over the roadway but remain open to traffic, in some cases with speed restrictions.
- Imhof Road south of Douglas Road
- Ferndale Road north of Slater
- Slater Road east of the Nooksack River bridge (5mph speed limit posted)
Drivers are advised to take alternate routes when possible.
New gate barriers installed on Marine Drive were used for the first time with this road closure.
An official with Whatcom County Public Works said they were hoping to keep Slater Road open, anticipating the river flood waters would quickly recede since the river appeared to have crested.
Drivers and property owners are advised to continue monitoring the river level forecast for the Nooksack River at Ferndale.