The holidays are a season to spend time with friends and family, of giving to others, and to give thanks for what we have. Holiday cheer seems to be everywhere. Unfortunately, it can also be a time some use to take advantage of others. With the holidays fast approaching, the Ferndale Police Department would like to pass on a few tips to help everyone have the wonderful holiday season they deserve.
Protect your vehicle and contents from theft
A lot of people leave their vehicles unlocked while gift shopping at busy shopping centers. A few steps should be taken to protect your vehicle and the contents inside from theft.
* Park in a well-lit area
* Never leave the doors unlocked
* Take the time to place your gifts in a locked trunk
* Immediately take your gifts and any personal items inside upon returning home
Protect your home from theft
Many people will be leaving their homes to spend time with friends and family, often leaving their homes unattended for days at a time. Some precautions can be taken to ensure your home is safe as possible in your absence.
- Always secure and lock all doors and windows, including garage doors
- Make sure you always leave your home looking like it is being lived in
- Put lights and even a television or radio on timers
- Have a reliable friend or neighbor check your residence and have your mail picked up every day, particularly any delivered packages sitting on your front porch.
- Do not leave a message advertising your extended absence on your answering machine
- Do not to advertise your time away by posting to social media
The Ferndale Police Department would like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season. Please partner with us to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all our citizens.