Home News Fan causes residential fire

Fan causes residential fire

- advertisement -Click for more information

Two engines, a rescue unit and aid unit from Whatcom County Fire District 17 (WCFD17) and an engine from Whatcom County Fire District 7 were dispatched to structure fire about 3am in the 4300 block of Decatur Drive in Sandy Point Heights.

Upon arrival crews found a bathroom fan had overheated and caught fire burning the ceiling before falling and burning portions of the floor.

An occupant woke to the sound of the fan hitting the floor and doused it with water before exiting the home.

The only smoke detector had been incorrectly installed and did not alert the occupants.

- Story continues after advertisement - Click for more information

 

The damage estimate was about $1000.

WCFD17 Fire Chief Jim Petrie said, “This was a very lucky family that narrowly avoided a tragedy. This is a good reminder to everyone to be sure you have working smoke detectors in your home”

Advertisements

- Story continues after advertisement - Click for more information

- Advertisement -
- Story continues after advertisement - Click for more information

 

Joe Beaulaurier
Joe Beaulaurierhttps://MyFerndaleNews.com/
Beaulaurier is the founder of My Ferndale News. As a Ferndale resident, he hopes to empower the community with free access to news that matters and makes a difference in the day-to-day challenges faced while we work and live in the Ferndale area.
- advertisement -Click for more information
- advertisement -Click for more information