55.8 F
Saturday, May 30 | 2:05am
Click for more information

Fan causes residential fire

Click button to share via:

Click for more information

Two engines, a rescue unit and aid unit from Whatcom County Fire District 17 (WCFD17) and an engine from Whatcom County Fire District 7 were dispatched to structure fire about 3am in the 4300 block of Decatur Drive in Sandy Point Heights.

Upon arrival crews found a bathroom fan had overheated and caught fire burning the ceiling before falling and burning portions of the floor.

An occupant woke to the sound of the fan hitting the floor and doused it with water before exiting the home.

The only smoke detector had been incorrectly installed and did not alert the occupants.

Click for more information


The damage estimate was about $1000.

WCFD17 Fire Chief Jim Petrie said, “This was a very lucky family that narrowly avoided a tragedy. This is a good reminder to everyone to be sure you have working smoke detectors in your home”

Click for more information
Click for more information


clear sky
55.8 ° F
57.2 °
55 °
62 %
1 %
56 °
57 °
58 °
58 °
60 °