Press "Enter" to skip to content
Washington State Patrol - My Ferndale News file photo

Early Sunday pursuit ends with vehicle in a ditch and man in jail

FERNDALE, Wash. — A Washington State Patrol (WSP) trooper attempted to pull over a 2002 Volvo S60 sedan westbound on Slater Road near Ferndale Road for speeding and not staying in their lane about 12:50am Sunday morning, June 21st. Instead of pulling over, the Volvo’s speed increased according to WSP Trooper Heather Axtman.

The trooper, with their emergency lights and siren activated, stayed with the Volvo westbound on Slater Road and, according to unconfirmed radio transmissions, Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO), Ferndale Police and Lummi Nation Police were contacted to assist in stopping the suspect vehicle.

The Volvo continued west on Slater Road and then north on Lake Terrell Road before heading east on Unick Road according to Axtman. Reaching speeds upwards on 75mph the Volvo continued east on Unick Road to Olson Road where it headed south to Lampman Road.

The Volvo headed east on Lampman Road and then north on S Church Road when a WCSO deputy joined the pursuit. The Volvo continued into a residential neighborhood at the north end of S Church Road where it circled around and came back out on S Church Road and then eastbound on Douglas Road before heading south on Imhof Road.

Click for more information


Upon reaching Slater Road, the Volvo again headed west. A pursuit intervention technique (PIT ) maneuver was attempted in the area of Haxton Way, resulting in removing the Volvo’s rear bumper. The Volvo continued west on Slater Road reaching speeds of 95mph.

Upon reaching Lake Terrell Road, the Volvo went south from Slater Road and then east on N Red River Road.

Spike strips were set across both lanes of N Red River Road near Haxton Way. A successful PIT maneuver was performed after the Volvo collided with a Lummi Nation Police vehicle in an attempt to avoid the spike strips, Axtman said. The Volvo ended up in a ditch alongside the road.

Path followed during the pursuit.

Click for more information

The WSP trooper took the driver, identified by Axtman as Kolya Daughs, age 31, into custody. Daughs was booked at 3:30am into Whatcom County Jail charged with suspicion of:

  • No valid operator’s license with valid identification
  • Attempting to elude a police vehicle
  • Driving under the influence
  • 2nd degree assault
  • Obstructing a law enforcement officer

In 2015, Daughs was convicted of 2 felony counts of attempting to elude police vehicles resulting from 2 February 2015 incidents on the same morning while driving with a suspended license. He also pled guilty in 2017 to felony residential burglary, 2nd degree assault, 2nd degree robbery and unlawful imprisonment stemming from an incident in Bellingham in January 2016. In that incident, he held and robbed a man at knifepoint in the man’s apartment and then fled to a nearby bank branch where he broke a glass door with a large rock, entered the branch and called 911 to turn himself in from a bank phone.

Daughs remained in custody as of 9am today, June 23rd, pending a $40,000 appearance bond according to jail records.

My custom footer text