Organizers at the Ferndale Community Resource Center announced today they will begin opening on the first Saturday of each month from 10am to 2pm. This extends the organization’s regular hours of Tuesday to Friday from 9:30am to 12:30pm.
Part of the Ferndale Community Service Cooperative, the Resource Center provides information and referrals to local programs and services to those in immediate crisis as well as finding long-term solutions for health, housing, veterans and social service needs.
According to Cooperative Coordinator Terri Temple, “We are trying to improve access to our services for those who are unable to stop by during the weekday hours.”
Services offered include:
- Providing comfort bags that include comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. in travel-size containers
- Providing information on where to obtain $10/$15 prepaid cards for purchasing gasoline
- Providing seasonal clothing and shoes in expanded sizes from a clothing bank
- Through a partnership with Ye Old Barbershop, free haircut vouchers are available for special occasions such as job interviews and court appearances
- Providing Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) 1-day bus passes
- Providing voucher to YMCA facilities for showers
- Provide information about employment opportunities in the Ferndale area
- Provide assistance and a computer to build and update resumes and apply for jobs online
- Provide access to a phone with US long-distance service
- Provide internet access for job searches/applications, government services and email
- Providing poverty education and financial literacy classes
Resource Center officials say they are always in need of people who can volunteer at least 4 hours once a week. Volunteers can expect to answer the phone and greet people at the reception desk as well as
- assist with finding sizes for the clothing bank
- accept donations
- relay messages with staff
- monitor use of the computer in the Jobs Room
- provide a smile and a kind word
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to call (360) 380-2200 or stop by during regular hours and speak with the receptionist.