According to charter member Bertella Hansen, the Ferndale Downtown Association (FDA) was born from Ferndale Visioning meetings in 2006. Now 10-years-old, FDA board members are planning ways to continue promoting the commercial growth of Ferndale through their efforts to attract both businesses and shoppers.
Hansen pointed to several past, recent and ongoing projects the FDA has organized
· Ferndale City-wide Clean Up Day, the FDA’s first project and celebrating its 10th year
· Cleaning and repainting downtown waste containers with a fern motif
· Installed 15 green benches throughout downtown Ferndale
· Painted an outside wall of the Ferndale Post Office and installed custom-painted replicas of popular postage stamps
· Designed and installed dozens of bright blue banners sponsored by local groups and businesses along downtown streets to greet and welcome visitors
· The popular annual Harvest Festival and Pumpkin Games for families in October
FDA is looking for new members who want to participate in supporting and growing the Ferndale downtown business community. Interested people should attend the upcoming FDA’s general membership meeting, Wednesday, April 12th at 7:30am at the Whatcom Educational Credit Union (WECU) education center in Ferndale.