The Ferndale Heritage Society recently presented at a Ferndale City Council meeting and brought everyone up-to-date on what they accomplished during 2016. The following is a recap of their presentation.
Society members logged 3,854 volunteer hours carrying out the Society’s mission of promoting Pioneer Park tourism and maintaining the log cabins and the collections at Pioneer Park.
The Heritage Society’s education program is offered each spring. In 2016, 315 students from the Ferndale School District and 324 students from the surrounding area experienced what life was like for the pioneers. Students activities include dipping candles, washing clothes in a wash tub, chopping wood and making biscuits.
In April, the Society held their popular “100 Years of Fashion” show and raised over $2,000. Money raised was used to purchase 15 round tables for the Pioneer Pavilion Community Center.
Olde Fashioned Christmas in Pioneer Park draws families, many from other areas around the state, during the first weekend in December. In 2016, in spite of harsh winter weather, over 1,800 toured the decorated cabins, visited Santa, rode in the horse drawn carriage and enjoyed hot cocoa and cookies. 652 children wrote to Santa and got replies back.
Money raised from the events and donations is used by the Society to maintain the cabins and collections at Pioneer Park. This past year, 2016, the Heritage Society spent over $10,000 on the following:
• Two new windows in the Foster House
• A new window in the Parker House
• New windows and pane repair for the Mt. View Schoolhouse
• Painting the Mt. View Schoolhouse
• Installed new LED lights in the Granary, Holeman, Foster, Barrett & Lopas houses with volunteer help from Society members
• Repaired and refinished two of the park benches with Society volunteers
• Installed a new hot water heater in the Tillicum House
• Repaired the Mt. View Schoolhouse porch
• Hired a gardener and supplied plants for the summer upkeep of Pioneer Park
Everyone in the community is invited to join the Ferndale Heritage Society. Simply attend a membership meeting to learn how. The next membership meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 28th at 7:00pm in the Tillicum House at Pioneer Park.