Ferndale Police responded to an unusually high number of crashes Friday, August 3rd. There was no one reason given for the rash of reported crash incidents on the sunny, dry and windless day.
- A head-on crash on the Main Street and I-5 overpass about 2:30pm. Click here to read the story.
- A car vs pedestrian collision was reported at 2nd Avenue and Main Street about 4:30pm. Ferndale Police say this was determined to have been a near-miss as no contact was made in a close call between a vehicle and a pedestrian in the crosswalk.
- Multi-vehicle crash occurred at 1st Avenue and Main Street about 4:50pm. Ferndale Police said this was chain-reaction crash that resulted from the 1st vehicle failing to stop for stopped traffic, colliding with a 2nd vehicle and pushing it into a 3rd vehicle. The driver of the 1st vehicle was given a verbal warning and everyone exchanged insurance information.
- Injury crash at Slater Road and Rural Avenue occurred about 6:20pm. Ferndale Police said this was another rear-ender 3-vehicle chain-reaction crash and case of a driver inattention. The driver of the 1st vehicle was given a verbal warning and everyone exchanged insurance information. Whatcom County Fire District 7 officials say they transported one patient from the crash scene to PeaceHealth St Joseph Medical Center for a possible neck injury.
- There was report of a single-vehicle crash at Hamlin Avenue and Washington Street about 9:30pm. Ferndale Police say this was initially reported to them as a hit-and-run due to a driver having continued driving on after damaging a construction sign within the Washington Street construction area. The vehicle was located parked a block away. Police located an intoxicated woman in the vehicle but she denied being the driver. The woman was found to have an unrelated arrest warrant and was arrested and booked into the Whatcom County Jail.