The Nooksack River is expected to rise significantly again this week as heavy rains are forecast for the mountains and lowlands beginning tonight.
The Nooksack River level forecast as of 3:30pm today expects the river to crest about 4pm Thursday at about 18.7 feet. Official flood stage is 19 feet.
The National Weather Service has issued an Areal Flood Watch for Whatcom County. In it, they say, “The amount of runoff generated from this storm will be sufficient to put rivers flowing off of the northern Cascades at risk of flooding. The river most at risk for flooding is the Nooksack river.”
In the past, the following locations have been impacted by flood waters to some degree after the river level reached 15-feet.
* Water over the roadway on Ferndale Road north of Marine Drive and also north of Slater Road
* The corner of Barrett and Paradise Roads
* The WDFW parking lot on Marine Drive
* The roadway at corner of Marine Drive south of Country Lane
* Marine Drive west of Ferndale Road
The river level in Ferndale was forecast to reach near flooding heights last week but failed to rise past 15 feet in Ferndale.
River level forecasts can change frequently so updates may be issued closer to the event.