Lummi Nation National Resources Department has issued a Red Flag Alert due to the extreme fire danger caused by hot summer weather and dry fuel conditions.
The Alert applies to all land within the boundaries of the Lummi Indian Reservation.
According to the notice from the Lummi Indian Business Council, the following must be observed:
- All land clearing and debris burning must be discontinued.
- Enclosed cultural fires and recreational fires that do not exceed 3 feet in diameter are allowed.
- Burning in a burn barrel with a wire mesh cover per Lummi Code of Laws Title 18.04.030 is allowed.
- Use extreme caution when lighting fireworks. Have a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher around at all times.
- Do not light or aim fireworks around dry vegetation or near any housing facilities. Use fireworks only in a wide-open area, well away from any buildings, vehicles or vegetation.
- All burning permits are hereby suspended until further notice.