This Saturday, May 13th, Ferndale letter carriers will be picking up non-perishable food donations left in a bag set by or hung from your mailbox.
This is the 25th year the United States Postal Service and the National Association of Letter Carriers have held the national Stamp Out Hunger food drive.
Everything collected in the Ferndale area will be delivered to the Ferndale Food Bank where it will be made available to Ferndale neighbors.
Additional volunteers will be out ahead of the working carriers to help pick up donations helping the regular carriers to stay on schedule.
Most-wanted nonperishable foods include (look for foods high in nutrition and low in sugar and fat, such as):
- canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon)
- canned and boxed meals (soup, chili, stew, macaroni and cheese)
- canned or dried beans and peas (black, pinto, lentils)
- pasta, rice cereal
- canned fruits, 100 percent fruit juice (canned, plastic or boxed)
- canned vegetables
- cooking oil, boxed baking mixes
But please NO
- rusty or unlabeled cans
- glass containers
- perishable items
- homemade items
- noncommercial canned or packaged items
- alcoholic beverages
- mixes or soda
- open or used items