The Ferndale area is waking today, Wednesday, January 15th, to temperatures in the teens, gusty northerly winds and inches more snow than the previous dusting.
Harsh weather conditions and snow-covered roads convinced Ferndale School District and Lummi Nation School officials to announce last night that all schools would be closed today, Wednesday, January 15th. All scheduled before-school and during the day and evening activities were also canceled.
The following agencies, organizations and business have announced they will be canceling or delaying opening or providing services Wednesday, January 15th, due to winter weather conditions.
- Ferndale School District – classes canceled
- Lummi Nation School – classes canceled
- LIBC and Lummi Daycare, Clinic, Behavioral Health, CARE and Suboxone – closed
- Lummi Early Learning (ECEAP and Headstart) – canceled
- Sanitary Service Company (SSC) crews will continue making curbside garbage and recycling pickups as scheduled but, according to their website, delays and service disruptions are possible. Click here for more information.
- Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) Buses may be delayed or detoured when the roads get icy. Buses will not be stopping at stops marked with a snowflake graphic. Click here for more information. No Zone service or Flex rides.
- Ferndale Public Library –
open regular hours(updated 7:45am) all Whatcom County Library System branches and the Administrative Services office on Northwest Drive are closed
- Ferndale City Hall – open regular hours
- Ferndale Food Bank – closed (next regular distribution will be Saturday, Jan. 18th )
- Ferndale YMCA – late opening (8:30am) and 9:15am Silver Sneakers, 12pm Enhanced Fitness and Rookies Basketball practice are canceled
- Ferndale Senior Activity Center – closed
- Boys & Girls Club Ferndale Clubhouse – closed
- Meadows Montessori School – classes canceled
- The Loving Tree School – closed
- Everyday Fitness – closed (still accessible to 24-hour members)
- Flow Motion – open for salt therapy, sauna and day pass appointments only. All classes are cancelled.
- Locker Room Fitness – All morning classes are canceled
- Hot Dogz & Kool Catz – closed
- Ferndale Laundry – shortened hours (11am to 7pm)
- Hermosa Hair Design – closed
If your business, organization or agency has delayed or canceled opening or events today, Wednesday, January 15th, contact us so it can be added it to the list.
Ferndale Public Works crews began plowing and sanding roads by 7:30pm yesterday, continuing through the night and into this morning according to Public Works Supervisor Bo Westford.
Winds are expected to shift to from a northerly to easterly flow today according to National Weather Service forecasters. They have issued a Wind Advisory warning of expected sustained easterly winds of 25 to 35mph with gusts to 45mph. This advisory is in effect from 1pm today through 1am tomorrow.
Heavy snowfall is expected to end this morning with only light snow or rain and snow expected the rest of the day.
Computer forecast models say to expect Ferndale area temperatures to return to the 30s by as early as this evening but more likely sometime tomorrow.
A mild weather system is expected to arrive Friday night that will raise the snow levels even more and bring a chance of rain for lowland areas according to forecasters. Before the precipitation changes to rain, the area could see an additional 1 to 2 inches of new snow accumulation.