By registering to post any content including comments on My Ferndale News, you become a My Ferndale News User and agree to abide by this Code of Conduct. While our code is in fact a set of guidelines, any deliberate violation of the following points – especially those that harm other members – will result in a loss of site privileges.
Posting content on My Ferndale News comes with responsibility and the poster can be held liable, including arrest and detention, as result of posting content that violates the law. Freedom of speech does not apply on private services such as My Ferndale News and cannot always successfully be cited to hold one immune to charges.
My Ferndale News users agree to not do the following:
- plagiarize the work of others, fail to acknowledge source material, or use images that belong to others without their permission
- abuse, threaten or verbally attack other members, individuals, or My Ferndale News owners, publisher or staff. We do not tolerate bullies, and we’ll do our best to spot them and get rid of them
- post libelous, obscene or pornographic material or content that contains racist, sexist, homophobic and other slurs
- deliberately post stories that are untrue, false or misleading or that make false representations about the poster him/herself
- Post, transmit, upload or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, obscene, harmful, defamatory, invasive of other’s privacy, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable
My Ferndale News users will:
- be accountable for stories they post and follow up by correcting known errors
- resist attacks, insults and threats and instead remain civil and focused on the ideas being presented rather than the individuals expressing them
- promote interactivity and dialogue that supports real community collaboration
- avoid the use of ALL CAPS in their comments as that is seen by others as shouting. At a maximum, we request no more than three ALL CAPS word per comment.
The mission of My Ferndale News is to be an online gathering place for neighbors and friends. As such, there is no room for hate speech or abusive or inflammatory behavior to make your point. Remember the golden rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated.
This Code of Conduct was based, with permission, nearly in its entirety on the same at MyEdmondsNews.com, the longest-running online news source for the Edmonds, Washington, community.