Rain fell during the early morning hours while temperatures around the Ferndale area hovered between below-freezing and freezing. As a result, everything, including the 2 to 4 inches of snow accumulation, has been coated with a glaze of ice making power lines and trees heavier and roads extremely slick.
Law enforcement and tow truck operators have been busy this morning responding to numerous crashes. City crews are out in their plows clearing and sanding.
The National Weather Service Seattle office has issued the third Winter Weather Advisory in as many days. This latest advisory is in effect until 4am tomorrow, Sunday, and says to expect up to 2 inches of new snow and up to one-tenth inch ice accumulation in western Whatcom County.
Nearly 80 neighbors around the Ferndale area are without power. Given the challenges for crews to reach the outage locations and the fact there currently are 25 separate outage locations in Whatcom County, no estimates for when to expect power to be restore are being given.
While there remain Ferndale neighbors without power per Puget Sound Energy, the area is faring far better than those east of the Guide Meridian. Between Lynden and Bellingham there are over 2000 PSE customers reportedly without power.
Business and organization events canceled today include (this list is expected to be updated):
- Laura’s Anniversary Sale at the Checkered Apron scheduled for today has been canceled and will be rescheduled for a new date (TBD).
- The Community Breakfast at United Church of Ferndale in support of the Ferndale Food Bank has been canceled today.
- The Ferndale Emergency Response Network (FERN) meeting has been canceled today.
- ALL Boys & Girls Club basketball games scheduled
at Vista Middle Schoolin Ferndale today have been canceled.
- Cedarwoods Canine School has canceled classes today.
- Dakota Creek Guns & Outfitting is closed today.
- Checkered Apron is closed today.
- AllisonAmy Jewelry is closed today
- The Ferndale Public Library
- WeSnip Garage Sale at the Carnation Oxford Building
Text message business or organization closure information to 360-223-1438 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.