ELECTION 2019 CANDIDATE PROFILE
Candidate’s submitted biography (unedited):
Bobby was born and raised in south Bellingham, graduated from Sehome high school in 1974 and has lived in Whatcom county his entire life. He is a 4th generation commercial fisherman. He and his wife Carol have been happily married for 40 years. Their 2 sons, Jon and Eric, were raised in the Ferndale and Blaine area and still live in Whatcom County with their families. Bobby & Carol live within walking distance of the Blaine Harbor.
Here’s Why Bobby is running for re-election
- Ensure that the Port of Bellingham stays focused on the mission statement of transparently promoting sustainable development and transportation gateways while responsibly managing Port properties.
- Ensure that the Port of Bellingham is as environmentally friendly as possible in all areas of the Ports control
- Ensure that all of Whatcom county has broadband service through the installation of fiber optic cables.
- Ensure cleanup of the ASB pond site and go through the public process of deciding what will be done with the site
- Continue aggressively recruiting new shipping business for our shipping terminal with our partners the ILWU and Ports America.
- Build a Container Barge facility for Whatcom county so our products do not have to be trucked to Seattle for shipping or trucked from Seattle to Whatcom County for delivery.
- Continue reconstruction of the Blaine Harbor industrial site.
- Continue to seek out businesses that will bring good family wage jobs to Whatcom county.
Bobby Briscoe was elected to the Port in 2015 and is presently the senior Port commissioner and president of the Port of Bellingham Commission. His peers have recognized his leadership abilities, and common sense approach to solving difficult issues. As a grandparent of five grandchildren he understands the need for good paying jobs in Whatcom county. He knows this will require strong clean industries and businesses, as well as education and training for our young people to land those jobs. It is the Ports responsibility to make these things happen. It is economic development and economic growth at its best.
Our children are our greatest treasure. They are our future. It is up to us to ensure that their future is a bright one.
- Whatcom Commercial Fishermen’s Association
- IAFF106 Bellingham/Whatcom County Firefighters Association
- International Longshore & Warehouse Union
- Teamsters Union
- Northwest Washington Central Labor Council
- Whatcom County Association of Realtors
Port Commissioner candidate Bobby Brisco is interviewed by My Ferndale News (October 2019).
Candidates running against:
MFN stories where candidate is mentioned:
** not mentioned in any stories yet **