US Geological Survey monitoring shows the Nooksack River level at Ferndale passed the 17-foot mark about 6am this morning. The 4am National Weather Service river level forecast expects the river to crest at just over 17.5 feet before noon today.
As a result of the high river level, river flooding has pushed water and debris over low-lying roads near the river. The following list of includes affected Ferndale area roads that could impact your morning commute.
- Slater Road between Ferndale Road and LaBounty Drive
- Ferndale Road between Marine Drive and Rayhorst Road
- Marine Drive between Rural Avenue and Lummi Shore Road/Drive
- Barrett/Paradise Roads between the Super 8 Motel and Neevel Road
Water/Debris over the road
- Imhof Road between Douglas Road and Ulrich Road
- Lampman Road west of Haxton Way
- Ferndale Road between Ulrich Road and Slater Road
- W Smith Road east of Northwest Drive
- W Smith Road west of LaBounty Drive
The river level at Ferndale is expected to remain above the 15-foot mark through Tuesday morning.
Drivers should be prepared for road closures to continue through tomorrow and be alert for water and debris over other roadways.