Some drivers got a rude surprise this afternoon as the Nooksack River crested today, December 21st, at a level of about 16 feet in Ferndale, flooding several low-lying roads.
As of 3:30pm this afternoon the following Ferndale area roads had water across both lanes.
- The corner of Paradise Road and Barrett Road (open although likely to be closed)
- Marine Drive west of Rural Avenue (closed to traffic) – updated at 5:15pm
- Ferndale Road between Slater Road and Marine Drive (closed to traffic)
- W Smith Road west of LaBounty Drive (open)
- Ferndale Road north of Slater (open)
Slater Road remained unimpacted as flood water remained several feet from the fog line on the south side of the road east of the Nooksack River bridge.
Drivers should be alert as conditions as well as the open/closed status of roads can change quickly and avoid driving over flooded roads.