FERNDALE, Wash. — National Weather Service (NWS) Seattle office forecasters upgraded their weather alert for the western Whatcom County region to a Winter Storm Warning early this morning.
…WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 3 AM PST MONDAY…Winter Storm Warning Issued 2:30am January 12, 2020 by NWS Seattle (Northwest Washington)
* WHAT…Snow and cold northeast winds will develop this afternoon. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches is expected with blowing snow and wind gusts to 50 mph later today.
* WHERE…San Juan County, including Stuart Island, Waldron Island, Orcas Island, San Juan Island, Lopez Island, Blakely Island, and Decatur Island, Lowlands of western Whatcom County, including Point Roberts, Lummi Island, Bellingham, and Sumas and Lowlands of western Skagit County, including Cypress Island, Guemes Island, Anacortes, Mount Vernon, and La Conner.
* WHEN…From noon today to 3 AM PST Monday.
* IMPACTS…Travel could be very difficult. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Snow amounts are highly uncertain however even light snowfall can combine with windy conditions for blowing snow and poor visibility. Low wind chills below zero will develop tonight.